Saturday 12 July 2008

Unnecessary Angst

Earlier this morning I spoke to a friend on the phone she reminded me that Melbourne is also home to Kath and Kim, and that although there are indeed many funky fashionable people there are many ugg booted bogans there too so I should not fret. I feel somewhat relieved but am still fretting about the cold. Back to the lined jacket making and knitting!!!

I've just returned home from Spotlight ( a big sewing/craft supermarket for those not familiar) It has moved from Fremantle to the suburbs not far from me so it is still relatively convenient and it is closer to Textile traders so it is easy to visit one store then the other. However in the move it has seemed to loose some of its charm and variety. It has become bigger and cleaner but a bit more plastic somehow. Then today they had a young fellow with a most irritating voice, loudly spruking the storewide bargains at 3 to 4 minute intervals.

"DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT OUR BARGAINS IN OUR HOUSEWARES DEPARTMENT!! LOVELY VASES ALL UMM... UNUSUAL AND UMMM.... USUAL SHAPES AHH.... SOME ROUND SOME SORT OF SQUARISH AND UMM.. SOME LIKE BOWLS REALLY CHEEP GOOD VALUE PRICES!"

Ahhhhh!!! I couldn't wait to get out of there. I felt like I was in a $2 shop from the late 80's or 90's when shouting at potential customers seemed to be all the rage. I actually made a complaint. (I'm becoming a grumpy old woman!)I don't know if other people object to it but it didn't make me feel like rushing over to check out what was walking out the door at only $189 and given time to browse unassaulted I often discover all those useless bargains and usually leave the shop having spent far more than I intended. Unfortunately I think I have to go back because I don't think I got enough ribbon for the embroidery I want to put onto my evening coat!

I'll wait until Monday when it is quiet!

1 comment:

Kirti said...

That's HILARIOUS. The poor boy will always remember the public shame....

Don't worry a bit about Melbourne Fashion love, anything goes. Personally I have been wearing the same outfit for three days (undergarments refreshed of course) and I feel quite comfortable going out in public! :D You will however possibly have to be withheld from spending your life's savings on clothing whilst here. (Don't count on me though)