Saturday 8 August 2009

Colds, conflict and Crochet.



I've spent much of the last couple of weeks unwell with a bad cold, crocheting and arguing with my soon to be 18 years old son!
the argument revolved around what an uncool mother I am as I am not prepared to serve/provide or condone the consumption of alcohol by his underage friends (He repeated a year in grade one so most of his friends are 17 0r even 16.) Finally after much angst we have come to a kind of compromise, instead of a party of 100 of his closest friends we are now having a family and friends party of about 40, where I will serve light beer and light champagne for the adults.
I suggested a 'mocktail party' but one of his friends laughed at the mere suggestion of it and she asked him if he was a 12 year old girl. (Maybe I will make some mocktails anyway just to stir them up a bit.)
I feel really old because I am absolutely amazed at the expectation and reliance on alcohol and the fact that they don't even remotely try to hide the fact that they are drinking. 'In my day' we would sneak a drink or two and be afraid of getting found out!
Well at least we are talking again now.

I had three days off work and after a day in bed and almost two days of having no energy to do more than sit on the couch (and attempt to remain logical in the wake of the onslaught of a very determined teen) I went to spotlight and grabbed some wool...

Some 100% good old Australian Pure wool...


made in China!

I blame my cold and therefore my foggy brain for not suspecting this before I got home with a name like "Basics 8 ply" I should have guessed. Oh well it kept me busy for the weekend and for the monday that I had off from work also. I completed all but 10 of the 42 squares between saturday evening and monday evening. Then it took the rest of the week to complete the remaining ten. I finished the last one tonight and have now got them all blocked and ready to arrange before I sew them up. But I think I need to make more because it is not quite big enough. Maybe I'll sew it up and just add a row at a time until it is the right size.



I am finding it quite addictive- I'm thinking of the next crocheted rug project already.
(I wish I could become so obsessive about exercise or housework - maybe not quite as obsessive as that but a little perhaps would be useful!)


8 comments:

Sarah said...

Yes! Definitely serve a few mocktails. And if he starts complaining, bring out the fairy bread. And a game of "pass the parcel".
Hope you're feeling better!

fifi said...

Dont give in.
I'm not going to!

There are reasons it's illegal for under 18's and anyway, you'd get into trouble.
I have a very tough stance on that issue, and apparently I'm the "only mother who doesnt allow their [year 10] daughter to drink alcohol!!"

well.


And also, appropos you comment,
you will soon be journeying my friend. You will.

inkberryblue said...

Teenagers are hard work...I don't envy you sorting this one out.

Your crochet is gorgeous! I'd love to know which pattern your using. I have some orange Basics 8ply and have been using it in my hexagon cushion. I really like the colour.

Sorry you've been sick ~ one of the things I'm enjoying about being on leave is that I'm not catching lots of bugs!

I am excited about buying your bag and look forward to receiving your email ~ when you have time.

Anja said...

I'm afraid of time when my miss G will be a teenager...

Oh, these squares are so lovely!!!

Louise Dalton said...

And as a teacher of teenagers, I am with you all the way on the drinking. So many kids not only do themselves damage from the drinking, but also from the trouble the get themselves into and the regret and shame when the realise what they have done.
I do think its good for parents to introduce the idea of responsible drinking by modelling moderation. So a glass of wine or beer at a special family dinner, in the company of caring and responsible adults may be a sensible inculturation, a free for all at a party for 100 x 16 year olds is sheer ridiculousness!
Stick to your guns!
:-) Louise.
PS: I'm loving the granny colours of your granny squares!

Kirti said...

phew! what a full plate my friend! be well, stay strong, crochet on!! xxx

victoria said...

I shouldn't find that argument funny, but I did, especially your mocktails idea! I can only imagine - it's bad enough arguing with a 10 year old. Glad you had crochet for sollace!

urban craft said...

oh, kids these days. I can't even begin to imagine what the future holds for me. Hopefully I will learn how to crochet by then so that I can get through it without going insane. Although I bet the husband would rather I become addicted to cleaning rather than crafting.