Sunday 27 September 2009

Beginning to see the daisies not the weeds.


Things are looking up. Bantam Boy has had his extra reading time for his TEE approved. My principal has given the ok for me to have the time off to support BB which is great because we will have to travel to an external examination place to do his exams. His school is about a 5 minute drive but the college we have to go to is about half an hours drive. And we have to go in peak hour traffic. So having time off means all I have to do is focus on him and getting him there on time and as stress free as is humanly possible for these things!

I am on holidays for 2 weeks. Again! You have to love teaching for that.

But something else I love is when a project goes well. I just had to share with you the work of a couple of my year 3 kids. These two did a particularly good job. We have been learning about "the world". We've been reading and writing about it. For T&E(technology and enterprise) I told them they had to select one type of habitat to create a diorama showing what it was like. To do that they had to use their Society and Environment research skills to find out as much as they could about their chosen part of the world. All around the outside they have added information and interesting facts about their region. I love it when one project goes across a number of learning areas.


The one above is a Northern Forrest complete with a bear and salmon in the river. The one below is a tropical rain forest.



What I love most about this one is that the little girl has crammed it full of vegetation and created labels for her diorama just like the ones she has seen in diagrams in her reading.

And my final piece of good news is that I have finally been able to install my bath! It has only been sitting in the car port for 2 or 3 years. But every time I got close to having the money another thing happened to take priority.


Now don't look TOO closely as you will see that the old stained sealant that held the glass shower screens in place has not yet been scraped of the walls and floor. There is also a fair amount of building rubble and dust on the floor from where the plumber went through the wall and Tim drilled to put up a shower curtain. I could have dealt with that first but I went and bought bubble bath and relaxed a bit instead. When I closed my eyes I couldn't see the mess.
So the bathroom is up there on my list of holiday projects. Hopefully I'll resist the temptation to get in it and just close my eyes.
I have a tin of paint to freshen the whole room up. I have plans to sew some new clothes -if I can get BB to move his oil paint covered art work off the dining table(that stuff goes EVERYWHERE!!!) I'm halfway through my zig-zag rug which BB wants very big so it will cover his double bed, at least he likes my crochet unlike Chicky Babe! I laughed when I saw Cate Blanchett wearing a crocheted dress (a granny square one at that!) and the appearance of crochet in the local fashion awards in the Sunday paper. What will she do if the stuff her weird mother is doing becomes fashionable! She will face a dilemma then!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay for BB!

And those dioramas are so cute! I can't wait to be a teacher.

inkberryblue said...

I'm so glad that the extra reading time has been approved. The both of you must feel incredibly relieved. You are such a supportive mum!

The dioramas are gorgeous, the bath looks fabulous...and I think that your crochet rugs look beautiful. (My sister thinks my crochet is beyond dagginess.)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I love those dioramas! And great news about the extra reading time for BB.

fifi said...

oooh, how did I miss this new post???


Well done getting things sorted for BB, Good Luck with all of that. I have that nightmare yet to come...

Love the projects, the rainforest one is really sweet. Love also the BATH!!! How unreal, I would sit in there reading given the chance. Lovely.



And lastly, I so love all your crochet projects. I Adore all the rugs especially, theyre really beautiful. You are very clever.

Louise Dalton said...

Re Crochet grafitti comment:
I'm sensing Mother-Daughter-Guerilla-Crotchet project coming on! Call her bluff and embark on a bonding and urban beautification mission!

Red Hen (dette) said...

I am tempted!