Tuesday 2 June 2009

K17, k2tog,k1,turn, P6,P2tog, P2, turn.....AGAIN.

This is why I started knitting again.
I wanted to knit a sock- well hopefully a pair of socks. So I bought some socky yarn from the yarn shop, silk and nylon I think, it feels nice but it splits a bit as you work making unravelling something you don’t want to have to do. This is my second attempt. The first didn't get beyond the band.

The difficult thing was the pattern did not make any sense at all to me. I could not for the life of me imagine what those k1 sl1 psso’s would translate to. So I just had to free fall following the pattern and trusting that something sock like would emerge. It was actually quite challenging to follow something without understanding or visualising how it would work. Now I know you will laugh but it was a bit like bungee jumping -well as close as this control freak will get to it. I had to plunge into the unknown, trusting someone else's directions. It was ... a bit sad really that the most exciting thing I did this long weekend was face my sock fears!

So I read and re-read the pattern decided that it was indeed another language totally of which I could only vaguely grasp part of what was being said to me. So I just started and hoped for the best.
And remarkably it is sockish and I am on the downward slope working toward the toes.
Next challenge- Make the second sock.

2 comments:

Louise Dalton said...

I love those colours - very earthy. Socks are very mysterious creatures. Particuarly the first time you make them. I've got plain socks down, but now I really want to try some lacy-fancy ones. Holiday project?

Leah said...

You out of control sock extremist. All that adrenaline is not good for you!