Thursday 5 August 2010

Present.

I went into the front garden this afternoon and discovered that my almost birthday present arrived today from Amazon. I ordered some books for myself - having a little splurge on myself. ($63.00 all up for 3 books and delivery.) They were to be delivered by my birthday but actually arrived almost two weeks early. 
  So far this is the only one I've really looked at  so far. It has some good ideas in it for me and some that I will use with the kids at school. The main reason I bought these was to motivate me to try and fit time in for creative play ( I typed work and then erased it and put play, because I want to have some fun and enjoyment with some artworks.) I figured 52 creative exercises to make drawing fun= 1 activity per week that should be an achievable goal.
Artist journals have always held appeal to me but I have been too uptight to have one of my own. I have several drawing books on the go most of the time but they are an eclectic mix of scribbles, magazine cuttings, shopping lists, house floor plans and school to do lists, drawings, doodles and plans. I couldn't do without them, I feel uneasy if I don't have one on hand but they are not beautiful in the way "artist's journals" can be.
I become stumped, stifled and worried that the pages deserve more than I can give them and I falter - hence "The confident creative" (It was only about $10 and as it added little to the shipping costs I threw it in as well.)  I think I should approach the journal in much the same way as this blog- almost a stream of consciousness approach, just do it and see what comes. It doesn't matter if I fail and I might just surprise myself in the process. I actually don't worry too much if other people like my work, it is me I often have a hard time convincing.
                                          

Now I'm going to make a cup of tea and spend some time exploring the other two and think about what other things I can spoil myself with for my birthday (still 2 weeks away but I think I could find at least a few more things to spoil myself with before then.)

6 comments:

2paw said...

I love new books and the idea of once a week for the creative ideas is a good one!! Happy cup of tea!!

Anki and Sassa said...

You're always your own worst critic! It's hard when the negative voice keeping you down comes from within (I think I know where those voices come from too...petty jealousy from someone who recognised that your talent exceeded theirs). Lighten up, no one is judging you, so why do you judge yourself? You know you have talent, let it flow baby...

Red Hen (dette) said...

I think you might be right! But also I'm trying to make time for being creative and doing artwork, to get myself back into that mindset. It is so full of school. I feel like I am becomeing more of a teacher than an artist who teaches.

Anki and Sassa said...

That's what the true meaning of "letting yourself go" is. You get bogged down in the day to day and forget to feed the parts of you that make you into YOU...I like the sound of the stream of consciousness journal it would be a great counter for you as you have to be so structured in your work-life.

Louise Dalton said...

Time and Space... The elusive dream!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I have to say, I'm a little glad I'm not the only one who feels too "uptight" to have an artist's journal. I also have a book, but it's not beautiful by any means. I love the painting you've been working on too (in later posts).