Thursday 21 August 2008

Absence, does indeed make the heart grow fonder.

I have a very dear friend that I have known for years- 27 years in fact. We became friends on the first day of year 10. I was new to the school and she was one of the first people I met. We would talk at each other my mother used to say, hardly drawing a breath in between sentences answering a question while listening to the next one simultaneously. Goodness knows what we talked about but we always understood each other.

There were times when we didn't manage to catch up and there was one embarrassingly long period of time where we got so busy with our lives that we neglected our friendship for about 18 months or more. We had not fallen out or anything it was just that time had got away from us! When we caught up again it didn't seem to matter too much time seemed to fall away and I felt as close to her as ever.

Well at the moment she and her family are in Sweden visiting relatives. She has been away for about 4 weeks and I miss having her here to chat to, not that we did constantly but I could call if I wanted to and we would catch up in cyberspace. This week I have begun to miss the little notes and emails and have come to realize (more than ever) how much I truly value her friendship.

No comments: